About the program
The Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology is offered by ADLER to educate and prepare students for registration as Psychologists with the College of Psychologists of Ontario or with licensing bodies in other jurisdictions. The minimum three-year, 57-credit curriculum adheres to the guidelines of the Canadian Psychological Association for professional degrees. The program follows the Practitioner-Scholar Model, emphasizing the integration of theory and practice, self-reflective capacity, collaborative professional and inter-professional relationships, and commitment to social equality and social justice. Graduates are prepared for careers as professional psychologists.
Successful completion and attainment of the PsyD degree from ADLER does not lead to automatic or immediate licensure, employment, or certification in any Province, Territory, or Country. ADLER cannot guarantee that any professional organization or business will accept a graduate’s application to sit for any certification, licensure, or related examination for the purpose of professional certification.
How the program works
There will be one intake a year, in September, with courses being taught full days on Thursdays and Fridays throughout the year. Students can complete their doctoral degree in a minimum of three years and must complete all requirements within a five-year period.
Admissions Requirements for entry into the PsyD program
Admission to the Doctor of Psychology program at ADLER is the responsibility of the Program Admissions Committee. The Director of Academic Admissions and the Academic Admissions Assessor review all submitted applications. Recommendations for any given application will be based on several factors, not on academic ability alone.
Rather it is the collective judgment of the Committee members as to the likelihood of the applicant’s success in the program and their assessment of the candidate’s potential to apply acquired knowledge and experiences in workplaces and organizations that will determine the recommendation for admission.
ADLER reserves the right to grant or deny admission to any applicant at its sole discretion.
- Official Transcripts – Must be submitted directly from the issuing body and meets the criteria of the College of Psychologists of Ontario for registration.
- 4-year honours undergraduate degree in psychology
- Equivalent to 4-year honours undergraduate degree -The master’s degree program requires as a prerequisite for admission to the program, that the applicants have taken a minimum of 576 hours of undergraduate instruction in psychology.
- ADLER Master of Psychology, Clinical & Counseling
- Other Master of Psychology, assessed as being substantially equivalent to the ADLER Master of Psychology degree.
The Master’s degree program requires candidates to complete a minimum of one academic year of full-time resident graduate study and training or equivalent part-time resident graduate study and training. (Resident study and training consist of in-person participation in courses, seminars, practica, and internships with face-to-face contact with faculty and other students).
- Three reference letters:
- ADLER graduates - One must be a current or former ADLER faculty member; one must be from a current or former Practicum supervisor who is a registered psychologist in Ontario.
- Other applicants – One must be from a current or former faculty member; one must be from a current or former supervisor who is a registered psychologist
- The third reference letter must be from a professional who is familiar with the applicant’s professional work in psychology, or who has firsthand knowledge of their academic work. This cannot be family, friends, or a clinician with whom the applicant has had a professional relationship.
- Statement of Intent: A 3–4-page statement of intent and career objectives, including why a PsyD in Clinical Psychology, and why ADLER in particular?
- Submission of an MRP/Thesis (electronic copy)
- English language proficiency, demonstrated by either:
- English is the applicant’s first language.
- Completion of the applicant’s undergraduate degree at a university in which the language of instruction and examination is English; or
- A formal assessment by one of the following organizations to the respective indicated standard:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum overall score of 580 with a Test of Written English component score of 5 is required for paper-based tests; an overall score of 93 with a writing/speaking component score of 22 is required for Internet-based tests.
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB). A minimum score of 85 is required.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A minimum score of 7.0 (Academic) is required.
- The Certificate of Proficiency in English (COPE). A minimum score of 76 (with at least 22 in each component and 32 in the writing component) is required.
- Academic Preparation Course, International ESL Program, Continuing Studies, University of Toronto. A minimum final grade of B in Level 60 is required.
Psychology Practicum Equivalent
Applicants must have a practicum experience, supervised by a member of the College of Psychologists of Ontario. Applicants who do not have the experience to meet these requirements will be required to complete equivalent hours at ADLER before acceptance into the PsyD program
For ADLER Graduates who began their degree program prior to Fall 2019
Some additional courses may be required to meet the current MPsy curriculum equivalency.
Tuition Fees (Also on fee schedule)
Tuition for the program will be calculated each trimester, based on the number of credit hours per course. Each credit hour is $850, with a total of 57 credits required to complete the degree. The total tuition for the PsyD program is $48,450. **
*This program is offered under the written consent of the Ontario Minister of Colleges and Universities for the period from December 15, 2021 to December 15, 2027. Prospective students are responsible for satisfying themselves that the program and the degree will be appropriate to their needs (e.g., acceptable to potential employers, professional licensing bodies or other educational institutions.
** Some other incidental fees may apply. Total program cost is provided as an estimate based on current fees. Total cost is subject to change